Friday 4 October 2013

Buying via Buyers Guides

I love getting mail. There is nothing more exciting than opening the mailbox and seeing something that is not a a Rogers bill telling me I've used up my all my MBs watching gear review videos. But even more than getting mail, it's like Christmas getting the Outside Buyers Guide and the Backpacker's Gear Guide twice a year. What is the best of the best? What is the best value? What do I need to save my hard earned dollars for this year? Then I think...are these buyers guides an accurate appraisal of the best of the best on the market, or is it all rigged? To be honest, I'm not sure but I think it is a little bit from column A and a little from column B. Regardless I like to know what's up and coming and I can always make an excuse for replacing gear. 

The great thing about these issues are the first few pages of the 'zine showing tiny little thumbnails of the gear-testers doing something outdoors-y, so you know they've got street cred (or trail cred?). They have a little blurb underneath saying what their area of expertise is so you feel like you can really trust these people as the best person possible for the job. Though, many of these gear testers haven't lived a full winter on Canada's East Coast. 
I 'll have your best ice chisel, please!

When it comes to picking the test gear obviously the top name brands in the industry will be considered; like Merrell, Osprey, Wilderness Systems, Suunto...etc. BUT it's also where the small businesses try to break through. I've got lots of love for the little guys; especially going up against big names like TNF and Arcteryx. There is nothing I love more than someone taking the chance on testing a pack in the field that very few people have heard of; it could fail horribly or be the next big thing. That is why it is so important for consumer feedback after roughing up some gear for an extended period of time!

Our UTMB Hero's Shoe of Choice. 

As a consumer, I love reading the gear guides because I like to hear what people say about certain products; Its the same reason I love having long conversations in the shop about what you wore on your feet when you hiked the Footpath, or on what stove you cooked your Backpackers Pantry? Based on reviews - am I going to buy that? But when it comes down to it, we're all different people. When I strike up a conversation with someone, we have a different build, possibly a different gender and different things that annoy us. A pack that fits you perfectly might not fit me. I might love flick locks on poles and you might like twist locks. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely a consensus on a lot of products and that is the gear you know is done right, but when it comes down to it, the Gear Guides and Buyers Guides are a great stepping stone to buying the right gear for you but are not the be all end all to what you need to buy this season.

So here are some Radical Edge In-Store Staff Picks for this upcoming Season that we think are must-haves!

Head-To-Toe:
Insulating Midlayer Down: Westcomb Cayoosh Hoody

Insulating Midlayer Synthetic: Arcteryx Atom LT Jacket

All In One Winter Jacket: The North Face Plasma Thermal

Multi-day Hiking Boots: Salewa Alp Trainer Mid 

Gear: 
Sleeping Bag: Sea To Summit Talus III

Sleeping Pad: Thermarest XTherm

Headlamp: Petzl Tikka RXP

Winter Stove: MSR Reactor

Happy Dreaming!
Let us know what you've used that you've either loved or hated. We love the feedback. As always, you can upload gear reviews to any of the products you find on www.radicaledge.ca!




No comments:

Post a Comment